So I finally made the beds up.
After a fair bit of floofing around over the past few weeks I got the beds positioned, filled and made ready for crops. Not only that but they all also got a fertilizing of blood, fish and bone to make sure the crops get a good start.
The two main beds will be peas(on the frame), onions, spring onions, carrots, lettuce/spinach/salad leaf, radishes and some broccoli. I plan on using interplanting in the vain hopes that the onions will help protect the lettuce and carrots from pests.
The bags you see to the left of the image are for the potatoes. They came out so very well last year that I decided to just do the same thing this year.
The smaller bed will have leeks and something also, not sure yet. Maybe some Broccoli?
The gap closest the camera will have tomatoes. Probably 3 plants? Maybe another one by the small bed if it will fit (It should)
While I was filling the bed yesterday I was very happy to find that my rhubarb had made it through the winter. It’s just by the stake in the forground of the main image.
When it had yet to show itself earlier in the year I was a little miffed and thought it had perished. So that will be another addition to the other crops.
I’m also thinking of using bark chippings around the beds to cover the soil. Mainly to keep weeds down but to also act like a mulch around the tomato plants and to discourage slugs from getting to the beds and maybe break down into the soil and condition it a bit so I don’t actually have to do so much with that. Yes, I’m really that lazy!
Speaking of discouraging slugs. I saw an article that suggested scattering sharp sand around the edges of the beds, or on the wood itself. Not sure if it will work, but it can’t hurt to try. Maybe I would need to use some PVA glue to help it stay in place.