While it’s not something your average bloke would care to admit… I did.
Around November I did a post about how my pond had a hole and was losing water at a fair rate.
Well, cut to today being a wonderful spring day. No, lets not talk about that for now… I will never get to my story. So with it being a nice day I decided to re-do the pond.
The vast majority of the first part was the most difficult and time consuming. That’s right… catching the damn fish, taking out the last of the plants and making sure all the frogs that I had banished from the pond had indeed stayed gone. Hint, no, they hadn’t.
With a little sadness I have to report that I now only have 4 goldfish and 1 Koi. I had them all (8+1 koi) in November when I first noticed the leak but now I only have 4. I can only think that a bird or something had gotten to them somehow?
No matter… I will have to make up the numbers at some point.
After that I drained the last of the water and I was going to clean off the detritus at the bottom so I could just lay the new liner on top when I noticed this. I finally found it!!! That, I think, is the hole that has been my bane for a while. What a pain!
So now that I found the hole I don’t have to use the lining that I had. I wouldn’t mind but I spent a good 20 mins making sure of the dimensions of the pond and that I had enough liner. I did, but it was only just enough!
So now that I had my hole found I had to prep the area so I could use my repair tape on it.
A small thing for some of you that have to do this… The area you are going to fix needs to be clean and it will likely need a scrub to get rid of algae and crud. NEVER use a scourer that has seen any action in the house! It will likely have soap or chemicals on it. You NEVER EVER want to introduce cleaning chemicals to a pond as it will likely upset or, at worst, kill the inhabitants!
Only ever use a brand new scourer and rinse it through before use in the pond. As it was I used a pad that I took from my filter. It was already full of good bacteria and it had never seen chemicals other than H2O.
So I get it clean, dry it off and inspect it for actually being clean… Then did it again, because reasons.
Then I put on the repair tape. BY FAR the most annoyingly difficult thing I have ever had to do. That stuff is STICKY. I had to put the first piece on, roll it flat, no air pockets, then peel off the cover tape and then do it again with the top piece. Sheesh. That took AGES!
After that I left it to sit for a half hour and tidied up the area around the pond and put my tools away. Once I felt happy about it I attached my hose to my water-butt and let the water flow in the pond.
And that was me done. As I type this I’m waiting for the pond to fill up so I can turn the pump back on later. With luck there shouldn’t be any more problems… We shall see!