So today I finally managed to get outside to do some work!
Between the wet weather and the fact that for the last week I have been in college (And some of next week!) doing a small course to get my CSCS card. I can’t believe how many companies want it now. >.<
Anyway… So I got out into the sunshine.
I started off this morning by FINALLY cutting the grass. This will probably be the last cut of the year. It’s not really grown much since I last cut it almost a month ago. Only in a few small areas has it actually done anything. So I didn’t cut it too short, just a top-dressing really. I also trimmed up the edges and called that bit done.
I then moved to the job I have been trying to do for a while. I finished off my seasonal bed. Yeah. I’m going to call it the “Seasonal Bed”. It will just have seasonal plants in there, rather than using it as a herbaceous bed. This way I can tweak it and change plants as I like.
BTW… Before we start I have no clue why the blur is there. I can only think it was grease or muck on the lens. And seeing as how I didn’t check the images as I took them…. Erm… Yeah. you get what you get. Sorry about that. B-)
Anyway. So after last weeks job of making the bed, I finally got to fill it!
As you can see in the above, blurry, pic I started with the White Pansies. These were bigger than the Violas so I used those as dots.
I then added in the “Lemon Blueberry swirl” Violas.
And finally the “Blackberry” Violas. I pretty much used these to fill in all the gaps where the other plants simply weren’t. The colour difference between them should work. I hope it does at any rate!
In the end it looked like this.
I’m hoping they will spread out a little. All the plants had REALLY good root systems and looked good and healthy. A shock as they are only cheap Homebase plants.
But as with everything in the garden, you can only put them in the ground and hope they do their best.
I then used the last of the Violas to plant around where the Lupins have been moved to in the front. Just a very simple planting on the cardinal points. Nothing special.
I had 4 Blueberry left after I did this so I just threw them into a bed off to the side. I didn’t see the point in throwing them out or anything.
I also went to plant in the Honeybells I got a while ago. I forgot all about them… Not a shock, really. But I had a little sad moment. It appears two of them have mould. Not good.
I checked the rest and they seemed ok. I planted 6 and dumped the 2 mouldy ones in the household bin, not the compost bin. If the Honeybells fail then no real hardship.
Oh… And I managed to absolutely SOAK my pants and boots. I was kneeling in the freshly cut grass and, like an idiot, I chose to wear my light boots rather than my leather steels! Oh well. B-)