It’s only 11am as I type this and this morning has already been a roller coaster of highs and lows.
Coming outside at about 9ish, looking to see if any of my tomatoes had ripened. I was met with this.
Disaster… All 5 plants look like one of the Scourge from Warcraft had walked through the place blighting the land as he goes. I swear I didn’t see any of this when I checked on them on Friday morning.
I’m going to admit that I don’t think it’s only taken a couple of days… What’s more likely is that I completely missed the warning signs when I last looked at them.
The whole lot also smelled bad, but only after I had started to move them. With little choice all 5 plants had to be lifted, picked through and put in the municipal green waste bin. I’m not putting them in my own compost bin just in case it is blight. I don’t think my cold compost bin would kill it off. While the municipal ones gets RAGING hot and will likely manage to burn it off.
So after sifting through it for any untarnished fruit. All I got was the lot on the left and after getting rid of any that insects had got to I was left with the bowl on the right. I’m not upset about losing fruit to insects. It’s a pain to be sure but it’s natural and everything has got to eat. But the blight, that’s what Google seems to think it is, is something I could have avoided.
So I am left with 5 and a half pounds of green tomatoes and no idea what to do with them. *sigh* At least my humorous one managed to survive! B-)
^^^ Click… The Irony was not lost on me. B-)
After moving the tomato plants I found a few more spring onions. Look at the size of those!
I then decided to have a look at the squash to see if they had issues. I didn’t want to get caught out on the back foot again!
Now, before I get ahead of myself it is early days. I have some straw to put under them later. But I felt so much better after seeing them! B-)
And then there was this.
My Clematis finally decided to flower. It’s been a few years since it last flowered. The last 2 years it’s had issues with some kind of infection that caused all the leaves to drop and reduced it to the ground. The year before that the trellis on the wall had come loose, fallen and broke a couple of stems.
This year had seen lots of vertical growth but no flower buds all summer. Then buds grew for this one and the one you can see just behind it and a couple of others not long after, but I was scared they would fail to open or not form properly… I’m really glad they did.
Phew… What a morning! I need a sit down! B-)