I have to admit something right at the start. I am scared of electronics, not just ignorant or anything, actually scared. Most things I will have a try at, woodwork or plumbing, anything like that I will have a go. I may well fail it first time but I will have no problems backing off, having a think and trying again. Not so with electronics.
Why is this? I honestly have no idea. Maybe it was that I never really got to tinker with electronics when younger like I did with other things. But the fact is that it scares me and so I don’t dabble.
Luckily I have a friend that CAN do electronics and so I really haven’t needed to. But I accepted a while ago that I need to get over this fear.
Why am I telling you all this? Well…
A while ago, *cough*4yearsago*cough* I bought a bigger pump for my pond. My existing pump was fine it just wasn’t rated for the fact that I now had a MUCH BIGGER pond! I went from a small pond about 3 ft in diameter and around 8″ deep (130 litres) to one that was 4′ x 3′ and 28″ deep! (800 litres!). As you can see, my old pump just wasn’t up for it!
So I went from a small 300L/ph pump to a 1700L/ph pump. You can see the difference in the header picture above. It’s not insignificant!
I actually started last week by changing out my old filter box with a much bigger one with a far greater input/output. Zip forward to this morning and after doing the weekly shop I got moving with serious footwear. You know I am nervous when I lace and tie up my boots, normally I don’t bother and just slip them on unlaced.
As you can see from the above images I uncovered the box that houses the connector. Both are IP66 weatherproof rated but I was advised long ago that because it’s sitting in soil AND possible water it’s better to double up on the waterproofing.
I then disconnected the old pump and after snipping off the plug, stripped the wires from the new one and connected the wires like for like. I then resealed it all properly and put it back in it’s place. For anyone wondering, the fuse on the plug I snipped off is the same as the one in the plug that goes into the external wall socket.
After doing all that I then sank the pump and let it run for a few seconds. I guessed that if I had screwed something up it would have blown almost instantly or at least in the first minute or so. But everything seemed fine, no explosions, just flowing water so on I went.
I then spent an annoying 10 mins unhooking the old pump connectors from the isolator on the filter in pipe. Oh God, what a pain that was! And then connecting the new, much wider piping. With the pipes all connected I turned it all on with the isolator open. Success!!!
I then hid the piping out of view with a locking tag I nicked from work, had a little tidy up and I’m all done.
It may sound silly to some of you but I cannot put down in words the kind of nerves I was feeling this morning. I *should* have done it yesterday but I went to Nostel Priory for an event. You can read about it on my Facebook page here and see some pics here.
Hope you are all having a great weekend!