This mornings little bit of work was re-potting the blackberry I was given early on last year. I don’t know what variety it is, but it is a cultivated blackberry rather than a wild one.
The original idea was that I would put it in that tray… But that really didn’t work. I’ll not bother showing you the farce that happened before I gave up and decided to get a bigger tub for it. >.>
The idea was to put it here. It gets the most amount of sunlight during the day. During the summer it will get sun from about 10am to about 8pm. So just what it needs.
So it was potted up and I cleared out the patch of grass so it’s level. I also took the time to level off the soil under the Pieris… I never noticed that was uneven… I’m wondering if it had been lifted when the flooding in the garden happened because I don’t think I would have just plonked it down and walked away.
Anyway… After that I pushed it up against the wall and it was then that I noticed that I may have let one of the runners touch the soil for too long as it had changed the end to a root point. This is how I got this plant, Layering!
Important point to make here. One thing I learned at work… If you want to attach or anchor a plant to a trellis or some kind of structure… Make the anchor point tight and the connector loose. The reason is that the plant stem may well grow a little over time. If you make it too tight you run the risk of either constricting the stem or damaging it.
And now we are done. The stems are all anchored to the wall. With it being in the tub it shouldn’t get out of control and throw runners everywhere. I’m hoping that I won’t have to set up a few lateral wires. This may be something I need to alter later on. We shall see.